On July 3, 4, and 5, 1920, the little town of Bly (population less than 100)
staged a rodeo that entertained upwards of 3000 persons, and this fact lighted a
spark in Lakeview which was to result in the first "Lakeview Round-Up" that
The Lake County Chamber of Commerce, of which Dr. E. H. Smith was
president, held a special meeting at the courthouse on July 9 to discuss the
possibility of organizing a round-up here, and enthusiasm ran high. Smith
appointed a special committee to study the matter, composed of Dan Brennan,
W.V. Miller, and F.P. Light.
Six days later another meeting was held with Burt K. Snyder, secretary of the
Chamber of Commerce presiding, and the big step was taken. The special
committee showed a list of 52 firms and individuals who were willing to give up
to $100 each to finance the show, so the Chamber meeting was adjourned to
be taken over by the 52 signers. The group elected Burt Snyder temporary
chairman, and Dan Brennan temporary secretary.
The committee presented a set of proposed articles of incorporation, and after
adopting these the group elected S.P. Dicks as president, W.V. Miller as
vice-president, Dan Brennan as secretary-treasurer, and W.Z. Moss, A.J.
Ousley, O.C. Gibbs, and Fred Reynolds as directors. They then adopted a set
of bylaws which the committee of 6-days offered, and the Lakeview Round-Up
was established in name and fact. Dates for the first Round-Up were set for
September 4,5, and 6.....the Labor Day weekend which has ever since been the
traditional dates for the Lakeview Round-Up.
A week later, ground had been leased west of Lakeview and the work of
clearing sagebrush had started. Plans for a 200-foot long grandstand were
ready, over $7000 had been raised and the goal set at $10,000. Posts for the
corrals were on the ground.
Another week went by, and The Lake County Examiner of August 5, 1920,
reported that R.E. Taylor had been given the contract to build the grandstand,
and would start work by the following Monday. The leased land was being
cleared and leveled of enough area for the arena, the race track, grandstand,
and a baseball park. President Dicks had 10 committees assigned to various
By August 12, the Round-Up Program had been set, including baseball games
and "aeroplane stunting" as well as the riding, roping, and racing events.
Tickets were on sale: a single ticket for admission to the grounds, all three
afternoons, $3, single "season" ticket for admission to the grandstand all three
afternoons, an additional $1.50. Children, half price.
The Examiner of September 2 reported that all facilities were ready, including a
new 100 x 100 foot outdoor dance floor just north of the Masonic Hall (this hall
is the present location of Howards Drug), and a jazz band from Reno to play all
three nights. Daily Round-Up festivities would start at 1 p.m. with a parade led
by "the king and queen, Mr. and Mrs. S.P. Dicks."
The September 9 report was jubilant, in great detail, over the high success of
the first Lakeview Round-Up, stating an average daily attendance of over 4,000.
It was announced that, due to costly preparations for the first show, it was
doubtful that the backers who had put up $100 each would get their money
back at that time (and history reveals that a few years later all of them waived
any claims they had in order for the county to buy the Round-Up grounds and
In later years, the big local event has come to be called the Lake County
Lake County Round-Up
P.O. Box 565
Labor Day Weekend